University of Florida Homepage

Graduate Spotlight: Becca Jaeger

With graduation slowly approaching, we are spotlighting our amazing graduating Linguistics majors each day. For our next spotlight, we are highlighting Rebecca (Becca) Jaeger. Becca is from Jacksonville, Florida, and has been in the Linguistics department since her freshman year. She entered UF as a linguistics major after deciding to study Linguistics in her junior year of high school. Continue reading below to learn more about her and her experiences in our department.

1. What’s next for you after graduation?

I am currently applying to grad schools in Florida for a master’s degree in library science. I know it doesn’t have much to do with linguistics, but through the past year my plans have changed quite a bit and I’m hoping to eventually work in a school as a media specialist.

2. What is your biggest achievement as an undergraduate?

I think my biggest achievement would have to be completing my thesis, exploring semiotic metaphors as they appear in ancient Greek myths as well as modern retellings of those myths. It was a fantastic way I could apply my linguistic knowledge to the literary world. It was definitely difficult writing a thesis, but I felt so accomplished when I finished it. I cannot thank Professor Antes enough for all of her insight and guidance in the process.

3. What will you miss most about the UF Linguistics?

I will definitely miss the classes! There was never a shortage of classes to choose from within the major and I loved being given the opportunity to explore a vast range of linguistic topics. From syntax and phonology to translation and semiotics, I learned so many valuable ideas and theories and I only hope I will continue to be able to learn more even as I depart from my studies at UF.

4. What advice would you give junior Linguistics majors?

Explore your curiosities. All of them. It’s great to take classes in the specific area that you’re interested in, but be sure to give yourself opportunities to learn from different areas too. Keep your eyes open, and you might just find yourself being drawn to a field of linguistics that you wouldn’t have originally thought of.